Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Transformers

I didn't get much done today in the way of crafting, BUT I did start on what is going to be a big, ongoing project.

Meet my husband's retired ACUs. Periodically, things get worn out, and he takes a set out of circulation. Previously, he just added them to a bin in the basement, or thrown them out (in the case of the ACU jacket I washed with a pen in the pocket, oops!)  But not until I really started appreciating the value of materials did I think to reuse these things.
In case you have never seen them up close, they are durable fabric held together with about a mile of Velcro. There are also zippers, buttons, bungees and ties. Pretty much every means of holding two things together is employed in a set of ACUs. Which makes them AWESOME!

So, back to my project... I want to see how many different things I can make from one set, wasting as little as possible. It burns me up thinking about how some people just destroy or toss these out, when there is so much raw material there to make something new and useful. Once I'm finished, I will donate all of my little transformed items to my husband's unit. It should be challenging, but I'm excited to get going!













Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment