Monday, August 27, 2012

The Reveal!

...And we're back! Sorry for the long intermission! I so badly wanted to post this over the weekend, but I think, for my sanity, I should stick to my weekends off rule. I DID get a ton of other things accomplished, And I'm super excited to share them with you, BUT first comes unfinished business!

Before the big color reveal, I decided to do A little surgery. I just can't help myself. I'm really glad I did it though, because you will see what a big difference this small edit will make.

This shirt is one of those ultra lightweight numbers that I was complaining about in the Boatneck post. This fabric really doesn't take too kindly to being manhandled and ripped apart. So I had to be extra careful with my measurements and stitching. You've heard "Measure twice, cut once" ? Well, I put the shirt on, pinched how much of the sleeve I wanted taken in, I pinched how much of the sides I wanted taken in, then I marked the middle of my ribcage. I took the shirt off, turned it inside out and chalked out my marks. I took the sleeve and chest portion in 1 1/4" on both sides. When I reached my ribcage mark (which was 6" down from the armpit seam) I took a ruler and drew a straight line angling to the bottom hem. The angling lets you have a nice fit in your narrowest area, and leaves a little extra room in the lower half. Want to know why it's important? It keeps the fabric from being extra clingy on (if you're like me) your lower-tummy-post-pregnancy-bonus-skin-stash. :) OK! I drew my lines, pinned, and tried it on again. I decided it was still a good fit, got stabbed in the armpit with a straight pin, managed to get the shirt back off without losing an eye, and stitched it up! Then.... I tried it on again. Still good! That makes it "Measure FOUR times, cut once!" I cut, went over the open edges with a zigzag stitch, and voila!


See what I mean?! Sure it fit alright at first, but now it fits like a glove. Those simple lines took this from ok, to polished. Not to mention THE COLOR! It's a much more agreeable shade of green now, don't ya think? It even matches the sequin collar detail better than before! 



It matches my second favorite coffee mug, for the win!  

--CJ 

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. that turned out super cute! it actually looks like that is how it was supposed to look in the first place!

    ReplyDelete