Thursday, August 23, 2012

Big Tee to Boatneck

I hate women's t-shirts. There, I said it. They are "lightweight" a.k.a see through, they're never long enough, and when I get a size that isn't too tight around my chest, it's too loose everywhere else. So I end up wearing them too tight, and I feel sausage-esque about half the day. All was lost for me until I discovered MEN'S T-SHIRTS! They are thick enough to hide undergarments, and withstand being torn down and put back together. Try that with a "tissue" tee,  it isn't pretty. 

Speaking of not pretty, this shirt began the day like this. Good morning, fresh faced CJ! You look like an XL Boy right now. That's because this is an XL boys shirt, but not for long. 

Usually I would just take the sides of the shirt in, all the way up through the underarms and call it a day, but this shirt had HOLES! So I had to do something I've never attempted before and chopped from the top!


 It's hard to tell in the picture, but I cut right under the collar (safely removing the hole-y region) and sloped gently down the sleeves. I first did an angled cut from the shoulder to the sleeve, and I got this weird pointy shoulder thing going on. Not cool.

Turn everything inside out, and pin the sleeves from the outside edge to the point where you want your neck hole to be (I made my neck about 10" wide) and sew them up. I also took the sides in about 2 inches on each side. You can leave the collar un-hemmed to let it do that rolling thing that jersey does, or hem it... it's up to you.

Here's what it looks like all done to give a better idea of how the neck/sleeve cut was made.

And DONE! It's fitted where I want it to be, and now I can still eat an inordinate amount of lunch at Taco Bell (and I did! Says CJ from the future) without having to suck in my taco-filled gut all afternoon. WIN!

---CJ 

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. They're selling lots of big boaty stripey girl shirts at stores lately... it's a thing now. I personally love them very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Even though I'm living under a rock here, I still managed to make something trendy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that shirt! it looks super cute. very nice.

    ReplyDelete