Friday, September 7, 2012

Awkward People Deserve Pants Too

It's true... We do. If it isn't obvious in previous pictures of me, I'm really short. Like under 5' tall. I also have a small waist, wide child-birthing hips, and...how do they say... junk in the trunk. I know I know, I shouldn't be complaining, but pants have been a sore spot in my life. 

These are New York & Co. stretch trousers, and they're too big... in places. 
Here's my Subway commercial pose. If I learned only on thing from What Not To Wear, it's find things that fit your biggest part, then tailor the rest to fit the smaller parts. Because looking like a sausage is not ok. 

These fit my bum and hips. Now for the make smaller part. 

Put your pants on inside out. Pinch and pin until you get your shape just right. You will soon understand why "safety" pins are called that if you decide to do this with straight pins. 

All pinned up!

Once you take your pants off, carefully measure how much you're taking in on each side, making sure it's the same on both sides. Pin and sew!


I got lucky, and they fit just right on my first try. So I cut off the excess, and stitched a zig-zag over the open edges. 

Now for the hem, which is something I've been doing forEVER. Measure the inseam of a pair of pants that are already the right length on you, OR measure from your crotch to the floor and deduct about 1/2". With your pants inside-out fold up the cuff until the bottom edge is your desired length. Pin, press, and try them on. You will probably need to adjust the length one way or another. I ended up going about 2 whole inches shorter than this, I swear I thought I had a 28" inseam. Maybe I'm shrinking, or my brain is failing me... or both. 

You can hem these by hand so there is no visible seam, but I'm lazy I don't mind how the seam looks. 

Taa Daa! No clingy-booty-sausage-thigh!

Now, I've never owned "trousers" before. They always seemed like stuffy office wear to me. Turns out, they are just a fancy looking pair of pajama pants. These things are comfy! I'm so happy to have something other than jeans in my pants repertoire! 

BTW: 19¢ from the bag sale ;) 

--CJ


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment