Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What Can You Do With Two F.Q.?

A "Fat Quarter" is a half yard of fabric, cut in half to make two square-ish pieces. It's an alternative to the long skinny piece you traditionally get with a quarter yard cut. Fabric stores usually sell them pre-cut, in bundles or a-la carte. I rarely buy more than a quarter yard of fabric, because i make small things that don't require much. Yet, as I approach our last year here, I found myself wondering how much fabric I would need in the future when I can finally sell my products. I figured a F.Q. here and there is fine for me to make a thing or two for myself, but is it enough to make a line of products for sale? 

I Set out to the craft store and bought two FQ, one focus fabric, and a coordinating lining for a grand total of $5.25. I managed to make 6 items from those two squares of fabric. I was pretty impressed. 
All except two of these are Michelle Patterns. Which I am totally in love with. The bottom middle is the coin purse that I shared with you at the bottom of this post. The top right is what I managed to make with my last little (almost hopelessly small) scrap piece. 


It came out super cute, for an afterthought. 

With notions and interfacing, total cost came out around $10. Just think, for ten bucks you can organize your whole purse! I have a new found respect for the Fat Quarter, and it's going to make them even more irresistible to me... Oh no!


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Love that new line! I want to do a handbag out of the polka dots... Is this going to be sold as a set?

    ReplyDelete