Tuesday, February 5, 2013

100 Stitches


I decided to do a science experiment today. Which mode of yarn weaving is most economical? I wrote single crochet off immediately, because crochet is known to take a lot of yardage. I always thought it was knitting in garter stitch. Probably because a scarf knitted in garter lays flat and is very stretchy. Surprisingly, after my tests, knitting in stockinette gives the best yarn yardage/swatch size ratio. 

Let's review my findings! 

My first test:
100 stitches

I used the same type of yarn (worsted), and knitting needles(6mm)/ crochet hook(I) that are about the same size. I didn't slip the first stitch on each row of knitting either. 

I cut the tails to 1", marked the working end, and unraveled. 

100 stitches of single crochet = 252" yarn 
2.52" used per stitch 

100 stitches of knitting (garter stitch=knit all rows)= 127.5" yarn
1.27" used per stitch

100 stitches of knitting (stockinette stitch=knit one row purl one row) =109"
1.09" used per stitch

Don't you love simple math?

But look! Although the crochet uses a ton more yarn, it makes a bigger swatch, that has to count for something! 

My second test:
4 feet

Admittedly, there probably was an easier way to do this one, but I didn't measure my first swatches before I unraveled them. I measured out 4' of yarn, and knitted/crocheted as much as I could with that amount. 

Crochet yielded a 1.75 sq in swatch
Garter stitch yielded a 1.5 sq in swatch
Stockinette yielded a 2 sq in swatch

So crochet isn't all that bad after all, and Stockinette goes way farther than I imagined. I'm not sure exactly what to make of this due to the uses/characteristics of each stitch making them the better choice for different applications, but it's interesting, nonetheless! 

Just thought I'd share how lame and nerdy I am 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment